Recent revelation: A Dutch journalist, Bette Dam, who spent years in Afghanistan wrote a book ‘Searching for an enemy” in which she claims that that Omer never died in Pakistan. She claims that he lived in hiding in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2013. She says that Mullah lived about 3 miles away from a US base in Afghanistan and later closeRead More
- Will Australia Kill a Pigeon Named Joe? January 15, 2021A racing pigeon named after the president-elect appeared to have traveled from Oregon to a backyard in Melbourne. Or did it?Yan Zhuang
- As California Eases Vaccine Rules, Many Complain of Chaos January 15, 2021President-elect Biden proposed a major spending package to combat the virus. Americans are dying in greater numbers, and the virus is not always to blame.The New York Times
- Indonesia Quake Kills Dozens and Injures Hundreds January 15, 2021The 6.2-magnitude earthquake, Indonesia’s third deadly disaster in a week, struck Sulawesi island, flattening a hospital, destroying homes and setting off landslides.Richard C. Paddock and Dera Menra Sijabat
- Hong Kong Elvis Impersonator Dies at 68 January 15, 2021Mr. Kwok, who busked in the Chinese territory for 28 years, was hardly the first Elvis Presley impersonator in Asia. But he may have been the most committed.Mike Ives
- Hopes for Tokyo’s Summer Olympics Darken January 15, 2021Organizers postponed the Olympic Games for one year last March. Nearly a year later, prospects are getting bleaker.Matthew Futterman
- Billionaires backed Republicans who sought to reverse US election results January 15, 2021Guardian analysis shows Club for Growth has spent $20m supporting 42 rightwing lawmakers who voted to invalidate Biden victoryAn anti-tax group funded primarily by billionaires has emerged as one of the biggest backers of the Republican lawmakers who sought to overturn the US election results, according to an analysis by the Guardian. Related: Trump official […]Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Washington
- Coronavirus live news: UK ban on South America flights begins as global deaths near 2m January 15, 2021WHO moves emergency meeting forward; US government executes inmate with Covid; US officials warn of ‘full resurgence’ in major population centresSurge in Brazil’s largest state leaves health workers begging for helpTesting times: how UK government fell short, again and againStruggling London hospitals sending Covid patients to Newcastle‘No time to waste’: Biden unveils $1.9tn coronavirus stimulus […]Ben Quinn (now) and Helen Sullivan (earlier)
- Black women in the UK four times more likely to die in pregnancy or childbirth January 15, 2021Disparity with white women shows need for action, doctors say, despite slight improvement in mortality rate Black women are still four times more likely than white women to die in pregnancy or childbirth in the UK, and women from Asian ethnic backgrounds face twice the risk, according to a new report.The data shows a slight […]Hannah Summers
- US set for flurry of ‘Christian nationalist’ bills advanced by religious right January 15, 2021Legislation that would erode LGBTQ and reproductive rights expected to be introduced in states across America, experts warnDonald Trump is set to leave the White House and Republicans are about to relinquish control of the Senate, but experts are warning the US is facing a wave of rightwing ‘Christian nationalist’ legislation in 2021, as the […]Adam Gabbatt
- New York bus suspended from expressway after Bronx crash – video January 15, 2021A New York City bus was left hanging from an overpass after crashing off the Cross Bronx expressway, New York Emergency Management reported on Thursday night.Seven people, who were said to have been travelling in the bus, reportedly sustained minor injuries in the crashNew York bus dangling from expressway after Bronx crash Continue reading...
- The Lessons of the Nixon Pardon January 15, 2021The historian Rick Perlstein discusses President Gerald Ford’s motivation, whether liberals should care about the health of the Republican Party, and why the Trump siege may have been the culmination of the Barry Goldwater revolution.Isaac Chotiner
- A TV Documentary Shows the Deep Roots of Right-Wing Conspiracy January 14, 2021In 1964, the John Birch Society was the most active far-right group in the United States—unless you count the Republican Party.Richard Brody
- Covering the COVID-19 Crisis in the Navajo Nation January 14, 2021“The People’s Newspaper” follows the local journalists of the Navajo Times, as they report on a part of the country hit especially hard by the pandemic.Andrea DenHoed
- Big Tech Turns on Trump January 14, 2021After stoking a mob to storm the Capitol on January 6th, the President has been banned from many of the social-media sites on which he built his political career.